Volunteer Program Coordinator Opening
The American Horticultural Society (AHS), a national nonprofit membership organization located in Alexandria, Virginia, is seeking a full-time Volunteer Program Coordinator.
The position is based at the Society’s River Farm headquarters, a historic 25-acre site that was once part of George Washington's extensive landholdings. The AHS has more than 20,000 members across the country and around the world. Through membership in the Society, members receive a variety of benefits (including The American Gardener magazine, complimentary or discounted admission to gardens across North America, an annual Member’s Seed Exchange, and exclusive on-line content) as well as help support the Society’s vision of “Making America a Nation of Gardeners, A Land of Gardens.”
The role of the Volunteer Program Coordinator is two-fold: first, to lead and manage our on-site volunteer program in support of the AHS's mission and programs; and second, to evaluate, administer, and implement a successful plan for the profitable operation of the AHS Garden Shop. Volunteers are key to the AHS's work both at River Farm and, by extension, with the organization's national membership. River Farm's Garden Shop plays an important role in generating income while also reflecting the AHS's mission. This position reports to the Associate Director, Gardens and Facilities, and works closely with other key staff. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Working with staff members to identify potential volunteer needs.
* Coordinating the recruitment, selection, orientation, training, and recognition of volunteers.
* Maintaining volunteer records using digital software.
* Establishing, evaluating, and revising volunteer program components.
* Establishing volunteer assignments and schedules.
* Working alongside volunteers and staff members on larger projects, as well as during weekly volunteer days in the garden.
* Developing and monitoring the volunteer program budget.
* Serving as point of contact with community and regional groups that represent potential candidates for individual or group volunteerism (for example, schools, garden clubs, Master Gardeners, local companies).
* Playing an active role in the administration and coordination of events and programs that rely on volunteers for their success (for example, Spring Garden Market, Gala, Garden Shop, Special Work Days, Seed Exchange, Symposia).
* Leading guided tours of River Farm, as needed, and training volunteer docents to lead tours.
* Collaborating with key staff members to develop a vision and long-term plan for the profitable operation and growth of the Garden Shop.
* Developing retail merchandise strategies appropriate to the AHS mission and potential patrons.
* Continually investigating new sources of inventory, products, and retail marketing strategies.
* Establishing merchandise themes and converting these into attractive retail displays.
* Preparing, analyzing, and managing annual operating budgets, financial reports, inventory and projected sales.
* Establishing and monitoring a cash and inventory control system.
* Setting, communicating, and ensuring compliance with policies for sales, reports, handling of merchandise, customer service, cash handling, returns, and store hours.
* Training, scheduling, and supervising store team members.
* Maintaining organized files (proposals, contracts, performance reports, pricing, etc.).
* Collaborating with other departments to optimize promotion, advertising, and utilization of the store.
Requirements: volunteer management experience, including recruitment, training, and recognition; retail management experience; excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communications skills; proficiency with PC applications such as Word, Outlook, and Excel; aptitude and willingness to become proficient with AHS's member database software; strong background or focus on visitor experience and service; ability and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends for special events. Preference will be given to candidates with multi-year volunteer and/or retail management experience, demonstrated leadership ability, and knowledge of the field of horticulture.
This position will require some evening, weekend, and holiday work, depending on operational needs and scheduled activities.
To be considered, please email cover letter, resume, and three references to:
Executive Assistant and Administrative Manager
American Horticultural Society
7931 East Boulevard Drive
Alexandria, VA 22308
Position is open until filled. To find out more about the AHS, please visit www.ahsgardening.org